For more information go to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
See a complete list of our Alerts and Messages here
COVID-19 Information (Last updated: 1/30/2023)
Level 2: Exercise increased caution in Chile due to civil unrest
*** The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Entry and Exit Information:
New measures starting January 1, 2023 for passengers arriving from China
All passengers arriving from China must present a negative result from a PCR COVID-19 (SARS-Cov-2) test taken no more than 48 hours before their flight to Chile.
Travelers will also be subject to testing upon arrival at the airport. Those who test positive must quarantine for five days.
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? No
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Only Chilean nationals (including dual nationals) returning from abroad will be randomly tested at the airport upon arrival.
Chilean travel restrictions have been lifted. On October 1st, the requirements to enter Chile were updated. Now, at the time of embarking to Chile, the person must comply with the following:
- U.S. Citizens can enter Chile with government-issued identification and a vaccination certificate issued by the country in which they were vaccinated.
- Unvaccinated travelers must present a negative PCR test taken within a maximum of 48 hours at their last point of departure prior to their arrival in Chile.
- Only Chilean nationals (including dual nationals) returning from abroad will be randomly tested at the airport upon arrival.
- Proof of Health Insurance is no longer required. However, it is recommended to travel with health insurance that has coverage for SARS CoV 2 (COVID19). Please keep in mind that Medicare will not provide medical coverage in Chile.
- Masks are no longer required, except inside medical facilities (clinics, hospitals, laboratories, etc.).
- Meanwhile, those who are under 18 years of age do not have any requirements to enter Chile.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? Yes, if testing positive on arrival.
- Travelers who test positive prior to departing Chile will be required to quarantine in a location determined by the Ministry of Health. Travelers should follow all quarantine instructions provided by the Ministry of Health. The U.S. Embassy cannot request the Chilean government to exempt travelers from quarantine requirements.
- Travelers should contact their airline for any questions regarding rescheduling their flights or requirements to board a flight after testing positive.
- Per CDC guidelines, travelers who continue to test positive after quarantine but are no longer experiencing symptoms may be allowed to board a flight by providing their prior positive COVID test and a letter from a public health official or licensed healthcare provider stating that they are recovered/cleared to travel. Travelers should contact their airline with any questions regarding documents required to board their return flight if they continue to test positive after completing quarantine.
- The U.S. Embassy can neither ask the Ministry of Health to waive quarantine requirements, nor request that airlines board a passenger who has tested positive. Travelers to Chile are strongly encouraged to have contingency plans in place should they test positive for COVID prior to departure.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Chile? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- US citizens can obtain a COVID-19 test in any public hospital or in private clinics. A doctor’s note is not required to request a test. Travelers are responsible for paying for their own tests, whether it be direct payment to the medical facility, or through insurance.
- Travelers can request to receive test results by email. A physical copy of the test results may also be obtained- travelers should consult the medical facility where they have the test taken.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Chile approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Chile for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes. Vaccines are available for U.S. citizens who are also either residents or citizens of Chile
- Which vaccines are available in Chile? The Chilean government has approved the following vaccines for use: Pfizer-Biontech, Astrazeneca, Sinovac, Cansino, and Sputnik Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the U.S.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Chilean Ministry of Health
- For medical assistance while in Chile, you may consult our list of medical resources in Chile.
- Other links:
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- The level and type of activities permitted in each neighborhood (comuna) depends on what level of the “Paso a Paso” re-opening plan the comuna finds itself in. Details about activities permitted at each state of Paso a Paso may be found here (Spanish only).
- For specific questions, the Ministry of Health’s hotline is available at 600-360-7777. The Ministry of Tourism answers questions at 600 600 6066 or by email at email@example.com .
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes.
- The U.S. Embassy in Santiago is offering regular services for American citizens. Please visit our website to schedule an appointment online. If you have a need for emergency consular services, please email SantiagoUSA@state.gov.
- The U.S. Embassy in Santiago is performing limited visa services. For additional information, please visit the Embassy webpage on visa services.