Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy
October 14, 2021
Location: Metropolitan Region of Santiago and other major cities throughout Chile
Event: Due to the upcoming two-year anniversary of the start of the civil unrest in Chile, the U.S. Embassy in Chile is anticipating potentially violent protests in Santiago and nationwide starting today through October 18 and beyond. Public transportation in Santiago and other cities may be disrupted or severely delayed and roads may be closed or blocked.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Similar events in the past have been marred by violence.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates
- Avoid crowds
- Avoid demonstrations
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Use caution when walking or driving at night
- Make contingency plans to leave
- Review your personal security plans
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Chilean visa or Tourist Card
Assistance: U.S. Embassy Santiago, Chile
Phone number: +56 2 2330 3716 (8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M) and +56 2 2330 3000 (After business hours)
Email address: SantiagoUSA@state.gov
Embassy website: https://cl.usembassy.gov/
State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, Click here and follow the instructions.