Location: Metropolitan Region of Santiago
Event: Demonstrations are likely to take place today on Friday, August 9, 2019 and on Sunday, August 11, 2019. Local officials report expected violence at all three demonstrations.
On 9 August 2019 at approximately 12:00 hours, a student group is scheduled to gather at the Tobalaba Metro Station (intersection of Av. Apoquindo and Tobalaba).
On 9 August 2019 at approximately 19:30 hours, an unknown number of people are scheduled to protest the deaths of several Mapuche community members. Individuals are expected to gather in Bustamente Park near Plaza Italia and march toward the center of Santiago on Av. Libertador Bernardo O’Higgins.
On 11 August 2019 at approximately 11:00 hours, several groups are expected at an anti-immigration protest, calling for the protestors to gather at Plaza Italia. Counter-demonstrations are expected in support of immigration starting as early as 10:00 hours. This demonstration, which has not been authorized by local authorities, is expected to gather at the Universidad Católica Metro Station.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the abovementioned areas.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Santiago, Chile
Phone number: +56 2 2330 3716 (8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M) and +56 2 2330 3000 (After business hours)
Email address: SantiagoUSA@state.gov
Embassy website: https://cl.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country Specific Information for Chile
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter