There is one vacancy available (see above). Thank you for your interest in employment with the U.S. Mission in Santiago. The U.S. Mission in Santiago provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status or sexual orientation.
The U.S. Embassy in Santiago implemented the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA).To view a current list of all available positions at the U.S. Embassy in Santiago and to apply online, please visit our ERA site:
Please consult the video in the sidebar to learn how to create a new account and apply.
ERA will help you by:
- Reducing your time completing your application
- Increasing your communication with the mission during the recruitment process
- No more paper applications
What will be changing?
- ALL applicants MUST apply using the internet interface
- ERA will rank applicants using vacancy-specific questions
Please keep in mind that:
- Applications that do not meet the requirements above will not be accepted
- The Embassy does not contact all candidates that have applied for positions
- US Citizens applying for vacant positions do not have preference in hiring
- All applicants must be legal residents of Santiago and be legally eligible to work in the country in order to apply
Who may apply?
Open to: All Interested Candidates – Anyone with Chilean Citizenship or Permanent Residency may apply.
Open to: Current Employees of the Mission – Anyone who is currently employed by the U.S. Mission in Santiago may apply. Third Party Contractors are not eligible.
Open to: USEFMs only – Only U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members may apply. USEFMs may also apply to the above “Open to” categories.
For more information, please refer to the Additional Resources sidebar.
Vacancy: Mail Clerk
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 2019-009
Position Title: Mail Clerk
Opening Period: September 12 – September 26, 2019
Salary: For USEFM US$ 29,350 base pay p.a. Actual salary will be determined by Washington, D.C.
For more info: Mailing Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who may apply: U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
Security clearance required: Non-sensitive
Duration Appointment: Definite, the FMA NTE may not exceed five (5) years
Marketing statement: We encourage you to read and understand the
Summary: The U.S. Embassy in Santiago, Chile is seeking an eligible and qualified applicant for the position of DPO/Mail Clerk in the Information Management Section.
The work schedule for this
Position is: Full-time: 40 hours/week
Start date: The successful applicant must be able to begin work within approximately 4 weeks of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certification or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory position: No
Basic function of position: The incumbent is the DPO/Mailroom Clerk and provides DPO and Unclassified Diplomatic Pouch (Mailroom) mail services by receiving, screening, processing and distributing inbound and outbound pouches, DPO mail and local mail/items delivered by local mail services. The incumbent operates the mail service window to provide customer service and deliver mail to customers using the Integrated Logistics Management System (ILMS). The incumbent serves as back up for the IRM section timekeeper.
Qualifications/Requirements: Applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- High School Diploma or host country equivalent is required.
- Level III (good working knowledge) English is required. Level II (limited knowledge) Spanish is required. This will be tested.
- Two years in general office clerical, administrative or mail room experience is required.
- Must have the ability to work well in a team environment and handle cash transactions. Must be able to lift up to 70 pounds and safely move up to 250 pounds with assistance from coworkers or use of mechanical devices.
- Must be able to understand the organizational functions within the mission and local postal service operations.
- User knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and Outlook). This will be tested.
Please note that for any or all of the above requirements testing might be applied.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certification.
- All non-Chilean ordinarily resident applicants must have the required residency and/or work permit to be eligible for consideration.
- American Citizens residing in Chile and working for the U.S. Embassy are required to file and pay federal taxes and FICA contributions in addition to Chilean taxes and social contributions. Please note that as an employee of the U.S. Government, you are ineligible to take the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE, Form 2555). For detailed information, please refer to the IRS website at irs.gov.
- Current Ordinarily Resident (OR) employees who are currently serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current Ordinarily Resident (OR) employees who are currently on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) are not eligible to apply.
- Current Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR) employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference. HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1)AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2)AEFM / USEFM
(3)FS on LWOP** and CS with a reemployment right
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, equivalent documentation or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the Armed Forces that certify the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the Armed Forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be in the letterhead of the appropriate military branch of service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment right back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH) and for additional employment consideration please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va.
How to Apply: All applicants must submit their applications via the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) system. For instructions on how to apply via the ERA system, please visit the U.S. Embassy’s website at (https://cl.usembassy.gov/jobs/ ). Please attach the documents listed below:
DD-214 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Only applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office (email@example.com).
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Santiago.