Date: March 4-5, 2021
Location: Coastal areas of Chile
Event: At 6:25 pm today, ONEMI (the Ministry of Interior’s National Office of Emergencies) declared a precautionary alert for potential tsunamis due to an earlier earthquake in New Zealand. This alert applies to all coastal areas of Chile. Residents along the coast are advised to stay away from beaches from tonight until 6:00 am Friday, March 5. For additional updates or information, see ONEMI’s webpage and Twitter account (Spanish only).
- U.S. Embassy Santiago, Chile
Phone number: +56 2 2330 3000
Email address: SantiagoUSA@state.gov
Embassy website: https://cl.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country Specific Information for Chile
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter