On June 1, 2016, the U.S. Embassy will launch an adult passport renewalmail-in program. You can mail in your passport application if you can answer YES to ALL the following questions:
- Your U.S. passport was issued within the last 15 years.
- You were at least 16 years old at the time your most recent U.S. passport was issued.
- Your most recent U.S. passport is not damaged/lost/stolen and you are able to submit that passport.
- You use the same name as on your most recent U.S. passport; or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation to show this change.
If you cannot meet all of these conditions, you will need to appear in person to renew your passport.
Detailed information regarding the new adult mail-in renewal program can be found on our website here, but we have also included important information about the program below.
In order to renew your passport by mail, please submit the following mandatory documents:
- Form DS-82
- One passport sized (5cm x 5cm) photo. See our Photo requirements
- Your most recent U.S. passport
- A pre-paid DHL airbill (AWB). You must purchase it at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense). Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.
- Cashier’s check issued by Banco de Chile in U.S. Dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to the “U.S. Embassy.” The adult passport renewal fee is USD 110.
- All checks must be machine-readable (i.e., have a coded line running along the bottom of the check).
- Click on this link to see the nearest Banco de Chile branch where you can obtain this service. A cashier’s check drawn on a U.S. bank is the only payment method accepted.
No personal checks will be accepted. Please do not send cash through the mail; applications with cash or personal checks will be promptly returned to sender using the DHL prepaid airbill you provide.
Mail your application and mandatory documents to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Santiago
American Citizen Services
Av. Andres Bello 2800, Las Condes
Note: Old passports will be canceled and returned with the newly issued passport.
Processing time: The mail-in passport renewal process takes approximately 3-4 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly.
If you have any additional questions regarding our new adult passport mail-in renewal program, please feel free to contact us at SantiagoUSA@state.gov