• Due to limited cashier services at the Embassy, payment may only be made in Chilean pesos (preferred) or U.S. dollars. Exact change is required. If you plan on paying Chilean pesos and need to know the current exchange rate, please email once you have an appointment scheduled
  • If you do not have exact change, or if you do not arrive at your appointment with the correct form of payment, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment
  • If you are requesting an emergency passport for imminent travel to the U.S., you may be asked to submit confirmation of your flight itinerary or tickets in addition to the other documents required
  • If you have been contacted by the Social Security Administration regarding a requested service, and have been informed to go to the Embassy, please email for additional information
  • You must schedule an appointment for each individual service. For example, if you are a family of four requesting four passports, you must schedule four services online, not one service. If you schedule only one appointment but are requesting multiple services, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment.

NOTICE: All consular services are available by appointment only.  Please read the following instructions carefully before scheduling your appointment at Step 3, below.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America is a formal document certifying the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth of a person born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent(s).

If you are a U.S. citizen and you have had children while living in Chile, it is possible that you have transmitted U.S. citizenship to your child.

Please go through the steps below to first determine if your child is eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and if applicable, to apply.

Keep in mind that the application must be submitted before the child’s 18th birthday.

STEP 1- Determine whether your biological child born after November 14, 1986 qualifies for U.S. citizenship

Your biological child has a claim to U.S. citizenship if he/she meets ONE of the following conditions.  These conditions must have been met prior to the birth of the child:

  1. BOTH of the child’s biological parents are U.S. citizens and one of the parents has resided in the United States at some point.
  2. Only ONE of the child’s biological parents is a U.S. citizen, the child’s parents are MARRIED, and the U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the U.S. for a period of at least five years, two of which must have been after the age of 14.
  3. The child was born to an UNMARRIED, MALE U.S. citizen who has been physically present in the U.S. for a period of at least five years, two of which must have been after the age of 14.  In this case, the U.S. father must agree in writing to support his child until the child reaches the age of 18 years.
  4. The child was born on or before June 11, 2017 to an UNMARRIED, FEMALE U.S. citizen who has spent at least 365 days of uninterrupted physical presence in the U.S. at any time.
  5. The child was born on or after June 12, 2017 to an UNMARRIED, FEMALE U.S. citizen who has been physically present in the U.S. for a period of at least five years, two of which must have been after the age of 14.

STEP 2- Application Package

If you have determined that your child is eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) you must gather the documents listed below.

You must submit all documents in original form and one photocopy of each (except the form DS2029- only one copy is needed).  All original documents will be returned to you at the end of your appointment.  Please note that if you are also applying for the child’s passport, you will have to bring additional photocopies of the documents listed in the requirements for passport applications for minors (see number 9 below)

  1. Form DS2029 for CRBA. (PDF 62 KB)  Please read the instructions carefully before completing.  You can either fill it out online, or write legibly in block letters. Application must be filled out in black ink. Please print one sided.
  2. Child’s Birth Certificate – Please provide the Chilean Birth Certificate (Certificado de nacimiento para todo trámite) issued online and free of charge by Registro Civil.
  3. Chilean picture ID document for your child, if you have already obtained it –  (See important notice regarding this at the end of this page.)
  4. U.S. passport(s) for U.S. citizen parent(s)
  5. Foreign passport or ID card for non-U.S. citizen parent, if applicable.
  6. Parent’s marriage certificate, if applicable. (If you were married in Chile, please submit the marriage certificate “para todo tramite” issued online and free of charge by the Registro Civil)
  7. Proof of termination of prior marriages for parents, if applicable (divorce decree, annulment, death certificate)
  8. Documentary evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s required physical presence in the United States prior to the birth of the child.  Examples of evidence include high school and university transcripts, employment records, contracts, Social Security Earnings statements, dental or medical records, etc.   Please be mindful that it is your own responsibility to prove that   you meet the physical presence requirement to transmit citizenship to your child, and you must be able to demonstrate that you do with enough evidence that a Consular Officer will have to review and approve.  The burden of proof rests on you as applicants and all evidence submitted must be in its original form. 
  9. Form DS-11- Application for U.S. Passport. (PDF 97 KB) We strongly recommend that your child apply for a U.S. passport at the same time of the CRBA application for travel purposes. See the following link for further information on passport renewal for minors Please note that additional photocopies of some of the documents listed above must be submitted along with the DS 11 passport application.
  10. One Photograph for passport application.

Option for DHL Home Delivery of CRBA+U.S. Passport

If you would prefer for us to mail the documents, you may request your DHL AWB by email or in person
1. By Email: Request your DHL Airway bill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM .
• On the subject line write “Ciudadano Americano” and your full name.
• In the body of the email Include the information below
Origen: Embajada de Estados Unidos.
Dirección Origen: Andres Bello 2800,
Las Condes, Santiago
Fono Origen 56- 2 2330-3000

Nombre de contacto: (your name)
Ciudad de destino: (city for final delivery)
Destino/Dirección: (your address)
fono contacto: (your phone number)
e-mail contacto: (your email address)

DHL will provide a quote and instructions to do a Transferencia.

2. In Person: You may also purchase your airbill in person at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense).
Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.

Consular Fees

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad-  US$100
  • U.S. Passport for minor under age 16-  US$115
  • U.S. passport for applicant age 16-17- US$145

Fees can be paid in cash (dollars/pesos) or credit card. The credit card holder must be present with identification to use a credit card. Checks and debit cards(Redcompra) are not accepted overseas.

STEP 3- Schedule your Appointment

Each applicant for a CRBA requires an individual appointment.  You don’t need to schedule  a separate appointment for the passport application if you are applying for CRBA and passport at the same time.

Click here to schedule your appointment.

STEP 4- Come to the Embassy the day of your appointment

Be mindful that both parents and the child MUST be physically present before a consular officer the day of the appointment.

You will need to be at the embassy for an estimated 60-90 minutes.

Take into consideration that the CRBA+passport application process takes approximately 3-4 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly.

When we deliver your child’s Consular Report of Birth and passport, we will also enclose written instructions on how to apply for your child’s social security number.

If you have any further questions about this process not covered in the above information, please email us at

Important notice to dual national citizens

Please note that it is likely that your child acquired Chilean citizenship by birth in Chile.  If so, your child will need to have a valid Chilean passport at the time of travel in addition to the U.S. passport.  Chilean passports are issued by the Chilean Civil Registry and Identification Service.

Be mindful that if one of the parents is planning on travelling outside of Chile with the minor, Chilean law mandates that the non-travelling parent must provide a notarized travel authorization, which must be presented before Chilean International Police (PDI) with the child’s birth certificate and passports (both U.S. and chilean) when departing Chile.  The child’s birth certificate must be presented to International Police even when traveling with both parents to establish the relationship. Any questions regarding this issue should be directed to the Chilean International Police.  This requirement applies to all minors living in Chile, regardless of their nationality.

If you are unable transmit citizenship to your child born abroad because your child is adopted or you do not meet the transmission requirements, the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship.

These children do not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).