NOTICE: Passport services are available by appointment only. Please read the following instructions carefully before scheduling your appointment at the bottom of this page
Please be advised that there is no mail-in service for this kind of passport application (DS-11 form), so all passport applications must be submitted in person at our U.S. Citizen Services Section.
If you are applying on behalf of a minor (under 16) please see Passport Applications for Minors
If you are applying for first time as an adult (age 16 or older), you must come personally to the U.S. Citizen Services Unit and submit the following documents
1.Form DS-11. You can print the form from the Department’s public facing e-Forms webpage to ensure you are using the latest version. Search the form number in the search box at the top of the main page (DS-0011). The form is accessible online using Google Chrome (not Internet Explorer) to open the link.
- Print out and write legibly in block letters
- All applications must be filled out in black ink
- Box No. 5 on application: Social Security Number is a mandatory field. What if I don’t have a SSN? Note: If you have a social security number but do not provide it on the form, you will only be issued a limited-validity passport.
- Box No. 8: The Mailing Address must be a local, Chilean address. Hotel addresses are acceptable.
- Please print one-sided.
- DO NOT sign the application.
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship. You can submit your current U.S. Passport, certified U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship. Please bring the original document and a photocopy. All original documents will be returned at the end of your appointment.
3. Valid official identity document bearing photograph and signature and a photocopy of the front and back of the original government-issued identification.
4. One Passport photograph. (5 x 5 cms. / 2 x 2 inches)
5. Age Progression Photos. If the identity of the applicant cannot be established by the photograph in the U.S. passport, pictures that show the progressive growth of the applicant should be submitted at the time of interview. Failure to comply with this requisite may delay the passport application process.
6. Pre-paid, self addressed DHL Airway bill. (If unable to pick up passport product within five days.)
Special notice for Applicants age 16 and 17
Show Parental Awareness
If you have your own identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport by yourself. However, you must also demonstrate parental awareness.
Examples of Parental Awareness:
- A parent appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport
- A signed statement Form DS- 3053 consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID). A PDF-fillable version of the form DS-3053 is available here for the affiant to fill out electronically and print.
If you do not have a current ID, you must show at least one parent knows that you are applying for a passport.
The passport renewal process takes approximately 2-3 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly.
Passport Cards may take 4-6 weeks to arrive. If you will use the DHL mailing system described below, and you would like the passport book to be mailed separately from the card, you will need to purchase two AWBs.
Passport Book Fee:
Adults (16 or older): 165 USD
Minors (Under 16): 135 USD
Passport Card Fee- (Optional – what is this?)
Adults (16 or older): 30 USD
Minors (Under 16): 15 USD
Payment methods: cash (U.S. dollars or Chilean pesos) or credit card. The credit card holder must be present with identification to use a credit card.
We do not take debit cards (Redcompra) or checks.
A notification email will be sent informing you that the new passport product is ready for pick up. No appointment will be needed in order to do so.
- In person pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment
- Representative pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment and signed simple letter from applicant granting that authority.
- DHL Home Delivery Service: To take advantage of the home delivery service you must:
– Have your current passport cancelled at the time of your interview
– Bring DHL Airway Bill (AWB) to appointment
How to obtain DHL (AWB): You may request your DHL AWB by email or in person
1. By Email: Request your DHL Airway bill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM .
• On the subject line write “Ciudadano Americano” and your full name.
• In the body of the email Include the information below
Origen: Embajada de Estados Unidos.
Dirección Origen: Andres Bello 2800,
Las Condes, Santiago
Fono Origen 56- 2 2330-3000
Nombre de contacto: (your name)
Ciudad de destino: (city for final delivery)
Destino/Dirección: (your address)
fono contacto: (your phone number)
e-mail contacto: (your email address)
DHL will provide a quote and instructions to do a Transferencia.
2. In Person: You may also purchase your airbill in person at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense).
Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.
Note: Passport products must be delivered in a timely manner or be destroyed per U.S. Law. Should a passport product be destroyed due to delayed delivery, a new application process must be started, to include new appointment, new application forms, and a new payment of all applicable fees.
Schedule your Appointment
Each family member seeking a passport service requires an individual appointment. Please schedule your appointment on-line at your convenience when your application package is ready.
Once you have scheduled your appointment, a confirmation page will pop up on your screen. You must print the Confirmation page and bring it with you to facilitate your entrance to the Embassy.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES INCLUDING CELL PHONES AND LAPTOPS ARE PROHIBITED AND ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE EMBASSY.