Important Notice: Passport services are available by appointment only. Please read the following instructions carefully before scheduling your appointment at the bottom of this page.
You are eligible to use Form DS-82 if:
- You are able submit your most recent undamaged passport book and/or U.S. passport card.
- You were at least age 16 years old when your most recent passport book and/or U.S. passport card was issued.
- Your most recent passport book and/or U.S. passport card was issued less than 15 years ago.
- You are using the same name as in your most recent passport book and/or U.S. passport card; or you have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect your name change.
If you are 16 years of age or older and you do not meet all of the above four conditions to use Form DS-82, you must apply on Form DS-11 (PDF 97 KB). Passport applicants using Form DS-11 are required to submit the application to the American Citizen Services Unit in person, and cannot send someone else to submit their applications on their behalf.
See First Time Applicant/First Time Applying as an Adult age 16+ for further instructions.
If eligible to use form DS-82, these are the documents that must be submitted.
What to bring to appointment:
- Form DS-82 (PDF 89 KB).
- Print out and write legibly in block letters.
- All applications must be filled out in black ink.
- Box No. 5 on application: Social Security Number is a mandatory field. What if I don’t have a SSN? Note: If you have a social security number but do not provide it on the form, you will only be issued a limited-validity passport.
- Box No. 8: The Mailing Address must be a local, Chilean address. Hotel addresses are acceptable.
- Please print one-sided.
- Remember to sign the application.
- Your most recently-issued U.S. Passport.
- Photo copy of information page of said passport.
- One passport photo.
- Appropriate fee
- Pre-paid, self-addressed DHL airway bill. (If unable to pick up passport product within five days.)
Adult passport renewal using Form DS-82: $110.00.
Adult U.S. Passport Card using Form DS-82: $30.00. (Optional- What is this?)
Adult applicant using Form DS-11: $145.00.
Adult U.S. Passport Card using Form DS-11: $30.00.
How to pay:
- Cash, U.S. dollars or Chilean Pesos
- Credit card. The credit card holder must be present with valid photo identification
We do not accept debit cards (Redcompra) or checks.
Sending someone to drop off your application and pick up your new passport product?
Should you decide to send a representative to drop off your application and pick up your new passport, you, the applicant, will need to provide your representative with a signed ‘simple’ letter giving them the authority to do so on your behalf.
The passport renewal process takes approximately 2-3 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly.
Passport Cards may take 4-6 weeks to arrive. If you will use the DHL mailing system described below, and you would like the passport book to be mailed separately from the card, you will need to purchase two AWBs.
A notification email will be sent informing you that the new passport product is ready for pick up. No appointment will be needed in order to do so.
- In person pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment
- Representative pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment and signed simple letter from applicant granting that authority.
- DHL Home Delivery Service– To take advantage of the home delivery service you must:
– Have your current passport cancelled at the time of your interview
– Bring DHL Airway Bill (AWB) to appointment
How to obtain DHL (AWB): You may request your DHL AWB by email or in person
1. By Email: Request your DHL Airway bill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM .
• On the subject line write “Ciudadano Americano” and your full name.
• In the body of the email Include the information below
Origen: Embajada de Estados Unidos.
Dirección Origen: Andres Bello 2800,
Las Condes, Santiago
Fono Origen 56- 2 2330-3000
Nombre de contacto: (your name)
Ciudad de destino: (city for final delivery)
Destino/Dirección: (your address)
fono contacto: (your phone number)
e-mail contacto: (your email address)
DHL will provide a quote and instructions to do a Transferencia.
2. In Person: You may also purchase your airbill in person at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense).
Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.
Note: Passport products must be delivered in a timely manner or be destroyed per U.S. Law. Should a passport product be destroyed due to delayed delivery, a new application process must be started, to include new appointment, new application forms, and a new payment of all applicable fees.
Schedule your Appointment
Each family member seeking a passport service requires an appointment. Please schedule your appointment on-line at your convenience when you have all the required documents.
Once you have scheduled your appointment, your confirmation page will pop up on your screen. You must print this confirmation page and bring it with you to facilitate your entrance to the Embassy.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES INCLUDING CELL PHONES AND LAPTOPS ARE PROHIBITED AND ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE EMBASSY.