Mail-in applications are possible if you can answer yes to all of the following conditions:
- Your U.S. passport was issued within the last 15 years.
- You were at least 16 years old at the time your most recent U.S. passport was issued.
- Your most recent U.S. passport is not damaged/lost/stolen and you are able to submit that passport.
- You use the same name as on your most recent U.S. passport; or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation to show this change.
If you cannot meet all of these conditions, you will need to appear in person to renew your passport.
In order to renew your passport by mail, please submit the following mandatory documents:
1. Form DS-82. You can print the form from the Department’s public facing e-Forms webpage to ensure you are using the latest version. Search the form number in the search box at the top of the main page (DS-0082). The form is accessible online using Google Chrome (not Internet Explorer) to open the link.
- Print out and write legibly in block letters.
- All applications must be filled out in black ink.
- Box No. 5 on application: Social Security Number is a mandatory field. What if I don’t have a SSN? Note: If you have a social security number but do not provide it on the form, you will only be issued a limited-validity passport.
- Box No. 8: The Mailing Address must be a local, Chilean address. Hotel addresses are acceptable.
- Please print one-sided.
- Remember to sign the application.
2. One passport sized (5cm x 5cm) photos. See our photo requirements here.
3. Your most recent U.S. passport plus a photocopy.
4. A photocopy of both sides of your Chilean ID (carnet)
5. A pre-paid DHL airbill (AWB). You may request your DHL AWB by email or in person
a) By Email: Request your DHL Airway bill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM .
-On the subject line write “Ciudadano Americano” and your full name.
-In the body of the email Include the information below
Origen: Embajada de Estados Unidos.
Dirección Origen: Andres Bello 2800,
Las Condes, Santiago
Fono Origen 56- 2 2330-3000
Nombre de contacto: (your name)
Ciudad de destino: (city for final delivery)
Destino/Dirección: (your address)
fono contacto: (your phone number)
e-mail contacto: (your email address)
DHL will provide a quote and instructions to do a Transferencia.
b) In Person: You may also purchase your airbill in person at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense).
Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.
The adult passport renewal fee is USD 130.
METHOD OF PAYMENTS:
- Online (New)
ANNOUNCEMENT: Beginning June 27, 2022, U.S. Embassy Santiago will begin accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. passport renewal applications. Paying online allows you to mail your application to the U.S. Embassy without the need to apply in person. Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal.
Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the Embassy.
Please note that the online fee option is limited to U.S. citizens residing in Chile. Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only. If you wish to renew or apply for a passport card, you must make an appointment to apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate nearest you.
2. Cashier’s check issued by Banco de Chile in U.S. Dollars, drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to the “U.S. Embassy”.
Request USD130 cashier’s check. All checks must be machine-readable (i.e., have a coded line running along the bottom of the check). See below for the nearest Banco de Chile branch where you can obtain this service.
A cashier’s check issued by Banco de Chile drawn on a U.S. Bank is the only payment method accepted. No personal checks will be accepted. Please do not send cash through the mail; applications with cash or personal checks will be promptly returned to sender using the DHL prepaid airbill you provide.
Mail your application and mandatory documents through the courier of your choice to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Santiago
American Citizen Services
Av. Andres Bello 2800, Las Condes
Note: Old passports will be canceled and returned with the newly issued passport.
Mail-in Passport renewals take 3-4 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly.
Banco de Chile Branch where you can obtain the Cashier's check
Not all Banco de Chile branches can issue this cashier’s check. You can only obtain it in the following offices:
Plaza Arturo Prat 660, Iquique
Arturo Prat 356, Antofagasta
Balmaceda 481, La Serena
Prat 698, Valparaíso
Viña del Mar
Av. Valparaíso 667, Viña del Mar
– Av. Andrés Bello 2687 Local 1, Providencia (Torre La Industria)
– Isidora Goyenechea 2925, Las Condes (El Golf)
– El Bosque Norte 500, Las Condes (Edwards Citi bank)
– Av. Providencia 1912, Providencia
– Ahumada 251, Santiago Centro (Casa Matriz)
O’Higgins 598, Concepción.
Antonio Varas 818, Temuco
Urmeneta 464, Puerto Montt
Roca 864, Punta Arenas