Report the loss/theft of your passport to the local police
If your passport was lost or stolen you are advised to report the loss/theft to the Carabineros police station.
We recommend that once you realize the loss or theft of your passport, you submit an application for a replacement passport as soon as possible.
Application Forms and Supporting Documents
You must submit the following documents in person to the American Citizen Services Unit:
- Form DS-11– (PDF 100 KB)
- Print out and write legibly in block letters.
- All applications must be filled out in black ink.
- Box No. 5 on application: Social Security Number is a mandatory field. What if I don’t have a SSN? Note: If you have a social security number but do not provide it on the form, you will only be issued a limited-validity passport.
- Box No. 8: The Mailing Address must be a local, Chilean address. Hotel addresses are acceptable.
- Please print one-sided pages
- Don’t sign the form- You will sing it in person before a consular officer at the Embassy.
- DS-64 (PDF 51 KB)
- Two passport photographs
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship (certified U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship, or previous expired passport). Please bring the original and a photocopy of the document.
- Evidence of Identity, such as a valid passport of any country, a valid driver’s license, a valid national ID card, a U.S. military ID. Please bring the original and a photocopy of the front and back of this government-issued identification.
- Pre-paid, self-addressed DHL airway bill. (If unable to pick up passport product within five days.)
In addition to the above, please note the special passport requirements for minors under 16.
Applicant age 16 and older — US$145.00
Applicants under age 16 — US$115.00
Passport fees may be paid in cash (dollars/pesos) or credit card if you have acceptable identification. Checks are not accepted overseas.
The passport renewal process takes approximately 2-3 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly.
A notification email will be sent informing you that the new passport product is ready for pick up. No appointment will be needed in order to do so.
- In person pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment
- Representative pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment and signed simple letter from applicant granting that authority.
- DHL Home Delivery Service: To take advantage of the home delivery service you must:
– Have your current passport cancelled at the time of your interview
– Bring DHL Airway Bill (AWB) to appointment
How to obtain DHL (AWB): You may request your DHL AWB by email or in person
1. By Email: Request your DHL Airway bill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM .
• On the subject line write “Ciudadano Americano” and your full name.
• In the body of the email Include the information below
Origen: Embajada de Estados Unidos.
Dirección Origen: Andres Bello 2800,
Las Condes, Santiago
Fono Origen 56- 2 2330-3000
Nombre de contacto: (your name)
Ciudad de destino: (city for final delivery)
Destino/Dirección: (your address)
fono contacto: (your phone number)
e-mail contacto: (your email address)
DHL will provide a quote and instructions to do a Transferencia.
2. In Person: You may also purchase your airbill in person at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense).
Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.
Note: Passport products must be delivered in a timely manner or be destroyed per U.S. Law. Should a passport product be destroyed due to delayed delivery, a new application process must be started, to include new appointment, new application forms, and a new payment of all applicable fees.
Schedule your appointment
Please schedule your appointment online. Each family member seeking a passport service requires an appointment.
Once you have scheduled your appointment, your confirmation page will pop up on your screen. You must print this confirmation page and bring it with you to facilitate your entrance to the Embassy. This confirmation will NOT be emailed to you, so be prepared to print when scheduling your appointment.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES INCLUDING CELL PHONES AND LAPTOPS ARE PROHIBITED AND ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE EMBASSY.
If your passport has been stolen or lost, your travel is imminent and you are having difficulty scheduling an appointment, please email us at email@example.com
U.S. Citizen Visiting Chile
A U.S. citizen currently in Chile on a tourist visa may be unable to submit all or part of the documentation described above, and may need to replace the lost/stolen passport urgently. If this is your case, the American Citizen Services Unit may issue you an emergency passport which will allow you to return to the United States or continue your travel abroad as planned. Emergency passports are generally issued within 24-48 hours. The actual turnaround time will be determined at the time the application is submitted.
Important Notice for U.S. citizen visitors to Chile
If you are in Chile as a tourist please remember to file a report regarding the loss/theft of your passport, as we mentioned before. You will also have to replace your tourist card if it was also lost or stolen. This card or paper slip is given to all tourists upon entry to Chile, and it MUST be replaced before the traveler will be permitted to depart the country. Although the Embassy can issue a replacement U.S. passport, only the Chilean authorities, Policía de Investigaciones (PDI), can replace your tourist card. It may be obtained quickly. You should have a replacement passport already in hand when applying for the new tourist card.
PDI has locations throughout Chile. In Santiago request your tourist card at the following location:
Eleuterio Ramirez 852, Santiago Centro.
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
The tourist card may also be replaced at the Santiago International Airport. You need to arrive at least an hour earlier than your scheduled arrival time. We recommend, however, if possible, that the duplicate tourist card be obtained in advance at the International Police office listed above.
If you are exiting Chile at another port, you must apply for your tourist card in advance of your arrival at the point of departure.