IMPORTANT NOTICE: The child and both parents must be present at the time the application is submitted to the American Citizen Services Unit. Passport services are available by appointment only. Please read the following instructions carefully before scheduling your appointment.
Documents that must be submitted:
1.If the child was born outside the United States, you must provide the original and a photocopy of the birth certificate issued by that country’s competent authority. If the child was born in Chile, you must provide a Chilean Birth Certificate (Certificado de nacimiento para todo trámite) issued online and free of charge by Registro Civil.
2. Original and copy of U.S. issued Birth Certificate.
3. Form DS-11. You can print the form from the Department’s public facing e-Forms webpage to ensure you are using the latest version. Search the form number in the search box at the top of the main page (DS-0011). The form is accessible online using Google Chrome (not Internet Explorer) to open the link.
- Print out and write legibly in block letters
- All applications must be filled out in black ink
- Box No. 5 on application: Social Security Number is a mandatory field. What if I don’t have a SSN? Note: If you have a social security number but do not provide it on the form, you will only be issued a limited-validity passport.
- Box No 8: The mailing address must be a local. Chilean address. Hotel addresses are acceptable.
- Please print one-sided.
- DO NOT sign the application.
4. Original and copy Previously issued U.S. Passport, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship, if applicable
5. One Passport photograph. (5 x 5 cms. / 2 x 2 inches)
6. Original and copy of both parents’ valid official I.D. with photograph and signature.
7. Original and copy of child’s valid official photo I.D if available
8. Age Progression Photos. If the identity of the applicant cannot be established by the photograph in the U.S. passport, pictures that show the progressive growth of the applicant should be submitted at the time of interview. Failure to comply with this requisite may delay in the passport application process.
9. If only one parent can attend, please also submit original notarized Parental Consent Form DS-3053 and attach copy of front and back of non-appearing parent’s official, valid ID submitted to the notary.
10. Pre-paid, self-addressed DHL airway bill. (If unable to pick up passport product within five days.)
Exigent or Special Family Circumstances
If one of the parents is unable to contact the other parent due to exigent or special family circumstances, the applying parent must fill out the statement of exigent/special family circumstances for issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor under the age of 16 Form DS- 5525. This form is accessible here. You can fill out the form online and print it or you can download it.
We would like to emphasize that the use of this form is exceptional and should only be used in cases in which the whereabouts of the non-applying parent are unknown. The use of this form might delay the passport application process.
Passport Service Fee for Minors
Passport Book: $135.00 USD
Passport Card (Optional- What is this?): $15.00 USD
Passport Fees can be paid in cash (dollars/pesos) or credit card. Checks and debit cards (Redcompra) are not accepted.
Passport Book renewal takes 2-3 weeks, so plan your travels accordingly.
Passport Cards may take 4-6 weeks to arrive. If you will use the DHL mailing system described below, and you would like the passport book to be mailed separately from the card, you will need to purchase two AWBs.
Schedule your Appointment
Each family member seeking a passport service requires an individual appointment. Please schedule your appointment on-line when you have all the required documents. You must print the Confirmation page and bring it with you to facilitate your entrance to the Embassy.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES INCLUDING CELL PHONES AND LAPTOPS ARE PROHIBITED AND ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE EMBASSY.
A notification email will be sent informing you that the new passport product is ready for pick up. No appointment will be needed in order to do so.
- In person pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment
- Representative pick-up: Bring receipt showing payment and signed simple letter, written in English, from the applicant granting that authority. The representative must bring the original letter.
- DHL Home Delivery Service: To take advantage of the home delivery service you must:
– Have your current passport cancelled at the time of your interview
– Bring DHL Airway Bill (AWB) to appointment
How to obtain DHL (AWB): You may request your DHL AWB by email or in person
1. By Email: Request your DHL Airway bill by sending an email to CL.POS.SANTIAGO@DHL.COM .
• On the subject line write “Ciudadano Americano” and your full name.
• In the body of the email Include the information below
Origen: Embajada de Estados Unidos.
Dirección Origen: Andres Bello 2800,
Las Condes, Santiago
Fono Origen 56- 2 2330-3000
Nombre de contacto: (your name)
Ciudad de destino: (city for final delivery)
Destino/Dirección: (your address)
fono contacto: (your phone number)
e-mail contacto: (your email address)
DHL will provide a quote and instructions to do a Transferencia.
2. In Person: You may also purchase your airbill in person at the nearest DHL office. Please tell the DHL staff that you are pre-paying for a U.S. Passport Service (Guía Aérea para Pasaporte Estadounidense).
Delivery fees range from approximately 5,000 to 10,000 CLP, depending on the delivery destination.
Note: Passport products must be delivered in a timely manner or be destroyed per U.S. Law. Should a passport product be destroyed due to delayed delivery, a new application process must be started, to include new appointment, new application forms, and a new payment of all applicable fees.