Service members, Veterans, and their beneficiaries can apply for benefits services on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website at www.va.gov. The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) can also be of assistance if Veterans and beneficiaries have questions about benefits and services. You can contact the Federal Benefits Unit in Buenos Aires using the online form: https://ar.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/fbu-inquiry-form/
Request a Proof of Income or Benefits Verification Letter (certification)
If you need proof that you are receiving VA/DFAS benefits, you can request a benefits verification letter (certification). This letter is sometimes called a “budget letter,” a “benefits letter,” a “proof of income letter,” or a “proof of award letter”.
To request a verification (certification) letter at the U.S. Embassy in Santiago, please request a “notarial and other services” appointment by clicking here.
On the day of your appointment you will need to submit:
- Valid U.S. passport or Chilean ID.
- Documentation from VA/DFAS indicating the monthly amount you receive
- $50.00 USD notary fee (you may pay in cash dollars, pesos, or credit card. No redcompra or checks are accepted)
How to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?
- Contact information for VA
- More information on VA Services and Benefits for U.S. Veterans Living Abroad
Veterans Affairs Publications: