Press and Media Visa (I)

Visitors to the United States reporting on news events or involved in information gathering activities for the media must obtain an I-visa. This includes reporters, film casts, videotape editors, employees of independent production companies, freelance journalists working under contract, and people in similar occupations. Please note that only those who are currently involved in the news gathering process are eligible (proofreaders, librarians, or set designers are not eligible). Both print and film activities are included in this category. However, if the visitor is filming, the film must be informational or educational in nature. An I visa cannot be used to film material to be used for entertainment or publicity purposes.

Freelance or Freelance Media Workers

Employees of independent production companies and freelance media workers may qualify for an I-Visa if they are working under contract on a product that is to be used as news value or as a documentary that is not primarily for entertainment or entertainment purposes. advertising. The employee must be in possession of credentials issued by the Association of Professional Journalists. Consular officers may request to see such credentials before awarding the requested I visas.

Filming Projects

Individuals engaged in film production or distribution only qualify for an I-Visa, if the material being filmed is used to disseminate information or news, and the primary source of funding and point of distribution will be outside the US., this must be documentary in nature.

Applicants seeking to work on a film whose primary intention is entertainment or publicity must obtain a temporary worker visa permit, categories H, O, or P, depending on the nature of the work and the level of skills involved. Applicants must have their managers or agents contact the Office of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USIS) in the state where you intend to work.

Work at US Media Distribution Points

I-visas are appropriate for foreign journalists working in a foreign branch or subsidiary of a U.S. network, newspapers, or other distribution outlet if the journalist who is traveling to the U.S. to report only on American events for a foreign audience. If the journalist replaces or increases the number of US journalists who are reporting an event in the US for a North American audience, a work visa will be required.

Vacation trip

You can have an I Visa and a Tourist Visa at the same time and you can apply for both at the same time.

Special Application Requirements

The applicant must provide a letter from their Employer describing their employment activities and the length of their stay in the US.

Wives and children

Spouses and / or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the main visa holder in the United States for the duration of their stay require I-2 derivative visas. Couples must be legally married to qualify for such derivative visas. A copy of a marriage certificate and / or birth certificate of your children will be required. Wives, partners, and / or children who do not intend to live in the United States with the main visa holder, but do, visit him during vacations only, may be eligible and apply for a B-2 visitor visa.

Applicants for a derivative visa I must appear at the Embassy for their own interview (unless they are classified in the category of Applicants Not Requiring Interview). Such applicants may be interviewed together with or after the interview of the main visa holder, but not before the latter.

When the spouse of an I visa holder did not apply for their visa at the same time as the main applicant, he / she will need to present a copy of the main applicant’s visa and certificate of their marriage or relationship. The spouse and each child will have to submit their own application forms.

There are no requirements for the wife and / or children of an I-1 visa holder to apply for a student visa (F-1) if they wish to study in the United States; they can do it with an I-2 visa.

The holder of an I-2 visa cannot work under a derivative visa. If he or she is seeking employment, the appropriate work visa is required.